Another successful week on the pantry challenge! I was able to stick to the plan and do minimal grocery shopping. I did go over my goal of spending only $50 for these 4 weeks, but I still did pretty dang good!
I went shopping last Thursday for the onions and corn I needed for last week, and I did the shopping for this week as well. Here’s the breakdown….
- 2 dozen eggs ($0.68/dozen) $1.36
- 3 pound bag of yellow onions $1.79
- 1 head of lettuce $0.89
- 10 ears of sweet corn $1.00
- 16 oz bag of roma tomatoes $0.89
- 2 pounds of strawberries ($1.49 each) $2.98
- 3 pound bag of apples $3.29
- sliced swiss cheese $1.79
- sliced pepperjack cheese $1.79
- 2 pounds of smoked ham ($3.49 each) $6.98
- 2 gallons water $1.58
- 1 seedless watermelon $2.99
Total out of pocket cost: $27.33
Total spent for 4 weeks of groceries: $62.33
$62.33!!! 4 weeks, 28 days, 84 meals (plus snacks)….and I only spent $62.33.
I’d say that is a HUGE success! So huge in fact….that I decided to continue to do a modified pantry challenge for another 4 weeks.
Here’s the menu for this week:
- Sunday: Oven roast chicken, noodle side dish, veggies
- Monday: Oven roasted smoked sausage and potatoes, veggies
- Tuesday: Chicken enchiladas with Mexican rice
- Wednesday: Leftovers
- Thursday: Tater topped casserole
- Friday: Spaghetti and meat sauce/meatballs (undecided!) and bread
- Saturday: Crockpot beef and noodles, veggies
What’s for dinner at your house this week?
The total spent had to go up to $63.69. Why? I’ll give you one guess…..
PSA: if you have kids…don’t pee alone.