Have a busy day? No time to spend slaving over the stove to make dinner? Kids cranky because “I’m sooo hungry!” and they can’t wait because they are dying of starvation?
This is my house almost every night. We always have things to do and the kids are always monsters when 4pm rolls around. I usually try to have dinner done for 5:30 and it is really difficult to do when you’ve got 2 screaming boys hanging off your legs. It’s the witching hour(s) in the evening until I can fill up their little tummies.
These pictures are the best comparison I can give you as to how they are before and after they eat 🙂
Chicken and broccoli stir fry is a crowd pleaser and it’s quick to throw together. Less than 30 minutes from start to finish. It’s usually done just in time to cure the kids of their hangriness. (is that even a word?)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Heat a small amount of oil in a 12 inch skillet.
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Cook chicken and garlic until the chicken is browned.
- Add 3/4 cup of broth, soy sauce and sugar.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover and cook for another 5 minutes (until chicken is fully cooked and broccoli is done), stirring occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup of broth until smooth. Stir into the skillet and cook until thickened.
Serve with some minute rice and you’ve got a full meal!