We are getting ready for school to start here in my house. We’ve bought school supplies, we will be getting school schedules and locker assignments tonight, and we are trying to get used to waking up to an alarm again (yuck!). School mornings are always rough here. As much as my teen hates getting up to be out of the house for 6:30 am, I hate making sure she gets out on time. She usually spends an hour and a half getting dressed, doing her hair and makeup, and making sure she looks good. The last 5 minutes are spent feeding the dog and grabbing her things before she goes out the door. There is never time for her to actually sit down and eat breakfast. So….. I have to make sure we have breakfast options that she can grab on the way out the door. I just stocked my freezer with a batch of freezer breakfast burritos that reheat in the microwave for two minutes and are ready to go. These and sometimes homemade pancakes (frozen to be reheated) are usually her standard grab and go breakfast. Have you ever looked at the price of frozen breakfast sandwiches?! It’s crazy expensive! This recipe breaks down to just over $1 a piece ($1.03 to be exact). I feel like I hit the jackpot because one of the packs of burritos had 10 instead of 8 so this specific batch was $0.91 each.
(You see my little helper in the back? Well he took a few bites from the tortilla closest to him before my other kid rattled on him. I still rolled it and stuck it in the freezer. Shhhh don’t tell my daughter!)
- 2 packs of burrito sized flour tortillas, 8 count each, 16 tortillas total
- 18 count large eggs
- 2 rolls of breakfast sausage (I use turkey sausage but regular pork sausage is fine too)
- 1- 8 oz block of mild cheddar cheese, shredded.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet, drain, and place in a large bowl.
- Scrambled the eggs and cook in the same skillet. Mix cooked eggs in with cooked sausage
- Lay out all your tortillas. Scoop between 1/3 and a 1/2 cup of sausage/egg mix and place on the middle of the tortilla.
- Top with cheese and roll your burrito. (If you don’t know how to roll a burrito, click here)
- Place burritos on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for an hour.
- Remove burritos from the freezer, wrap each in foil, place in ziploc freezer bags.
To reheat: remove burrito from the foil and place seam up on a paper towel in the microwave. Microwave for one minute, flip seam side down and cook another minute. You can then wrap the burrito back in the foil if you like or just grab and go.
You can put anything inside them like:
- Chopped onions and peppers
- Crumbled bacon or slices of ham in place of the sausage
- Any variety of cheese in place of the cheddar.
Keep your extra salsa packets from Taco Bell and you can grab those to out on the burrito as well! These are a time saver in the morning and my daughter especially loves them in the fall and winter when it is cold out at the bus stop. I love knowing that she is getting a good, protein filled breakfast before heading off to school.