My boys refuse to drink plain white milk. I’ve tried refusing juice until they drink it and it becomes an all day long battle that just isn’t worth fighting them on. However, if you add in some chocolate or strawberry syrup, they will down that cup so fast and then ask for more.
A little over a year ago I came across a recipe for chocolate syrup. I wish I had made note of where I had gotten it from, but I didn’t. My apologies to whomever it was that had posted it! It is so easy and quick to make. Not to mention cheap! I haven’t done a cost breakdown yet, but I can say it is CHEAP!
1. In a medium saucepan mix together 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup water, and a dash of salt.
2. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until boiling and cook for 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
4. Let cool before transferring to a storage jar or container. Store in the fridge.
Here’s a couple of notes:
- When choosing your saucepan, always go bigger. When this boils it expands and looks like it’s growing. If you have a small saucepan it will overflow and make a mess.
- A pint canning jar holds most of this recipe, with enough left over for a couple glasses of chocolate milk right away.
- I don’t know how long it will last for because ours doesn’t last beyond a few weeks. I would imagine that as long as its refrigerated, it will last for a while.